Re: E-M:/ Election coverage -- Granholm's bid to be Great LakesChampion

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

I agree with Alex wholeheartedly.

As a frontliner on the waste import issue, I have been very disappointed
with Jennifer Granholm's silence and inactivity on out-of-state trash and
other issues.  Much could have been done by her as the state's leading
attorney to help put the pressure on out-of-state interests not to send
their garbage here, but she has chosen not to act. She wasn't appointed by
Engler.  She was duly elected by the people of this state.  Yet in many
ways she has acted as if she is yet another of his appointed politicos.

Her new 10 point agenda has no mention of the problem, either.

In a state that is increasingly becoming a dumping ground (the 2001
numbers will soon be released by DEQ, and they will certainly be up), all
state level candidates need to take this issue seriously.  I, along with
others, vow to make this a high visibility issue where the pretenders and
the real environmental champions will be exposed for what they are.

There will likely be much posturing over out-of-state trash in the coming
months, in the form of legislation introduced in Lansing and Washington,
stump statements and press releases by candidates, and other assorted
genuine and nefarious moves by politicians of all shapes and sizes.

As one of the people who is most intimately familiar with this problem in
the state through my efforts over the last five years, I promise to cut
through the BS and let the voters know who we can count on and who we
can't.

And Granholm has shown me nothing thus far....

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE