Re: E-M:/ Election coverage -- Granholm's bid to be GreatLakes Champion

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

Alex,

For the record I am still neutral as far as endorsing a candidate for Governor,
but I find your repetitive diatribes against Attorney General Jennifer Granholm
politically naive, and your recollection of Frank Kelley's tenure viewed through
rose-colored lenses.

The Department of Attorney General represents state agencies.  If every time the
Attorney General disagreed with a policy of the administration she refused to
provide counsel and instead appointed outside counsel it would 1) cost the
taxpayers of Michigan big bucks, 2) cause chaos in general as far as tracking
litigation and avoiding conflicts of interest and 3) play directly into the hands
of certain legislators who want to slash the budget of the Attorney General's
office and either transfer all attorney positions to the departments (Russ Harding
woudl gets to hire his own in-house staff attorneys), or send all the work to
Honigman and other law firms around the state.

A couple of recent instances where she has acted on her own:

1) Lower Fox River - There is currently an action for natural resource damages
being pursued in Wisconsin on the Lower Fox River.  Russ Harding refused to join
the lawsuit, so the Attorney General intervened independently.  One study put
Michigan damages in the $30 million range.

2) Dow Chemical Company - The administration is currently cutting a sweetheart
deal with Dow for violations involving the release of dioxins, furans and other
hazardous substances.  The proposed Supplemental Environmental Project (SEP) is
for Dow to collect groundwater on-site and put it through there waste water
treatment plant. The Attorney General sided with MDEQ staff in urging the
department to reject the SEP.  Russ harding & Company is recommending approval, so
it being forced to settle out-of-court rather through use of a consent judgment.

As for out-of-state trash, this can only be solved through legislative (state of
federal) or executive action.  What solution do you think the Attorney General
could institute on her own?

As for smog, there is a four-pollutant bill in Washington to reduce pollution from
power plants --- guess who hasn't cosponsored -- a certain Congressman from Macomb
County.

Are any of the candidates doing everything I would want them do? Besides Sen. Alma
Smith, no.  But at least let's try to keep our criticisms factual and within the
scope of their respective authority.

Sincerely,

James Clift
in my capacity of just another Michigan registered voter looking for
pro-environment candidates