Re: E-M:/ Election coverage -- Granholm's bid to be GreatLakes Champion

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

We all have the right to our opinions, and I hope this doesn't get ugly
over the next few months.  This is the first real chance we have in a long
time to get a governor who can really make a difference for Michigan's
environment.  I hope we can have constructive discussion and debate over
the merits of each candidate and, when the dust settles after the
primaries, we can get behind the better choice for Governor.

I must say though, James, that there are things that Jennifer Granhom
could have done as the AG or at least spoken out as someone who we all
have known for many months was going to run for Governor.  As AG, she
could have spoken out about the issue in Washington, as the Attorney
General of Indiana has.  As AG, she could have filed suit against the City
of Toronto or other importing entities, as the Attorney General of
Virginia did in filing suit against the City of New York.  She could have
taken an active role in providing guidance or review of state legislation
that might pass Constitutional muster.

The Governor and the Lieutenant Governor have spoken out against out of
state trash.  While their words have rung hollow with me and others, it
would have been nice to hear some legal analysis by Jennifer Granholm as
the AG or anything at all from her as a candidate.

It's still early and she still has an opportunity to speak, act, and lead
on this issue.  We'll see what happens.

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE

  citing that they violated the Interstate Commerce Clausea DemoI am not
going to get into any "diatribes" about who is better or who isn't, James,
but I respectfully disagree with you about Jennifer Granholm's ability to
do anything as Attorney General in the case of out-of-state waste.