E-M:/ Urgent Action Alert on Arctic Refuge

Enviro-Mich message from "David Ross" <ROSS@nwf.org>

Hello Enviro-Michers,

Stabenow and Levin should be thanked for opposing drilling in the Arctic Refuge and urged to support the filibuster against drilling.

URGENT ACTION ALERT				March 5, 2002

The U.S. Senate had begun debate on a comprehensive energy bill.  We need you to take action to prevent some members of Congress from opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling.

PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW!

As you know, Senator Tom Daschle has brought up the Senate energy bill for consideration.  The Senate will work on the energy bill throughout the month of March.  The good news is that the Arctic vote is slipping because our opponents don't have the votes to beat us!  The bad news is that there will likely be several attempts to add an amendment to allow drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  Our opponents are looking for a "magic bullet" amendment to obtain enough votes to drill the Refuge.  So your efforts are even more important this month!  We are asking you to do several things:

 Call both your senators and ask them to oppose any amendments to drill the Arctic Refuge and to support the Kerry/Lieberman filibuster;
 Send an email to both senators by going to our web site at http://ga1.org/campaign/arcticrefuge01182002?source=nwf_takeaction and following the directions there;
 Send an email alert to EVERYONE you know with the above web site address and ask them to email both senators; and
 Write a letter-to-the-editor to your local paper on why the Arctic Refuge is too wild to waste.  Find an easy how-to at
http://www.nwf.org/arcticrefuge/letterstoeditor.html

Many folks have told us that they have already contacted their senators and ask why they need to write yet another letter.  The answer is simple.  We are heading into crunch time and the pressure on each senator is enormous.  Our opponents are pulling out the stops, spending literally millions of dollars against us.  Even senators who have said they are with us are being pressured to change their position.  WE MUST MATCH OR SURPASS OUR OPPONENTS' COMMUNICATIONS WITH EVERY SENATOR.  Our opponents may have more money to spend but we have more people.  It is critical that every senator hears from us every day.

Please call or email both your senators today.  Tell them that you are counting on them to reject attempts to drill ANY PORTION of the Refuge.  The fight for a clean energy bill is not over and we are counting on you to keep up the pressure with constant communication with your senators! Your efforts are a critical part of our fight for a good energy policy.  Thank you for your advocacy efforts to protect our nation's wildlife and wild places!