Re: E-M:/ State Senators want National Forests given to Michigan -- and TIMBER MANDATE!

Enviro-Mich message from Billy Stern <billysun@chorus.net>

Hi Tim,

As someone relatively new to the region, I'm wondering if you (or
anyone) could list the actual lawsuits that Mackinaw Chapter has been
involved in that focus on USFS/NF management, for say the last 10-15
years.

"No commercial logging" aside, Murrey is not the only person I've
hear complain that the Chapters in the Great Lakes have done
relatively little to slow logging on National Forest over the past 10
years compared to other Chapters (and local groups) around the
country.

The shear numbers do seem to show that the region is still a relative
timber and pulp basket compared to other parts of the country where
activists have taken a stronger stance.  Of course, with the relative
flatness of the region and somewhat few endangered species, there may
have been fewer legal handles, but most of the suits in other parts
of the country are successful on NEPA  and other technical issues.
Your thoughts on that are welcome.

Billy Stern
John Muir Chapter Ex-com and Forest Committee member.