E-M:/ Spencer Abraham's Hypocrisy, Depraved Policies

Enviro-Mich message from Wjkramarz@aol.com

As he doles out two billion of our dollars in corporate welfare for "clean
coal"  campaign contributors,  this "free market champion"  boasts of another
 welfare giveaway in the form of the  "Nuclear Power 2010 initiative, aimed
at establishing public-private partnerships to share in the cost of selecting
U.S. sites for new nuclear plants and for submitting formal applications to
the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for early site approval."   Although
we're "sharing" startup costs,  don't expect a cut from the future "private"
utility profits.

"'This is a critical step in paving the way for deploying more nuclear power
in the United States,' Abraham said. 'Identifying and obtaining NRC permits
for acceptable sites will answer the question of where we will build new
plants and thereby remove a major hurdle to building a new U.S. nuclear plant
by 2010.'"

Given Abraham's professed concern with "America's energy security,"   he
seems to have forgotten to allocate any of our dollars towards retrofitting
existing nuclear power facilities with surface-to-air missile installations.

Click Here: <A HREF="http://ens-news.com/ens/mar2002/2002L-03-05-09.html";>
Environment News Service: AmeriScan: March 5, 2</A> (scroll down to fourth
story).   See also the lead story exposing fraud of oil industry claims that
drilling is an environmentally benign process.