Re: E-M:/ Timber tactic debate

Enviro-Mich message from "Nancy Shiffler" <shifflern@hotmail.com>

Billy,

I don't know if I can catalogue everything our chapter has done on forestry
issues, but our efforts have included passage of the Michigan Wilderness
bill in the early 1980's; successful appeals of the Huron-Manistee and
Hiawatha National Forest plans in the mid-80s; active involvement the
planning processes for implementation of the forest plans; numerous comments
on individual timber sales and management plans; many negotiating sessions
with both the state DNR and the forest service regarding implementation of
plans, public input, and questionable administrative practices; the Aspen
lawsuit you mentioned; the lawsuit regarding adequate environmental
assessments for use of Pittman-Robertson funds from the Fish and Wildlife
Service.

Litigation can be expensive and has the potential to backfire (e.g. the Ohio
Chapter's lawsuit in the Wayne National Forest set precendents making it
harder to bring suits in other forests).  Consequently, we choose our
litigation carefully, making sure we play out administrative procedures
first.

People don't always agree on tactics and strategies, and that's healthy;
we've had a long history of debates on this.  We would just rather be
spending our time on getting the job done.

Nancy Shiffler
Forest Subcommitte Chair and Litigation Chair, Mackinac Chapter