Re: Re: E-M:/ State Senators want National Forests given to Michigan -- and TIMBER MANDATE!

Tim,

In fact Tim, we "actually" have stopped many thousand acres of forest from
falling--since you have turned this into a litmus test.  And we have never
remotely had the resources at hand which the Sierra Club Mackinaw Chapter
does. Your inference of non-participation cannot stand, and does not hold
water.  In my many  years with NWR and other forest protection groups and
efforts, we  have filed several lawsuits, which resulted in actual withdrawal
of timber sales, and built the public record based in science and public
support.  I have personally been part of at least three lawsuits in the
Ottawa and Hiawatha NF's.  We also have appealed several timber sales.  We
have submitted hundreds of comments in scoping process.   It may take some
time to recount them all, but I can provide an accurate list which will
reflect that we have halted logging, temporarily or permanently, and built a
public record to defend our position which has broad public support.

In fact, we have posted ACTION ALERTS on many of these national forest
battles on this listserve (e-mich) for a long, long time.  To date, I do not
know of A SINGLE one of those action alerts you or the Mackinaw Chapter of
the Sierra Club has supported, either publicly, or on the record, in writing
or verbally, other than Borrowed Time back in 94.  I do not see yours, or
Mackinaws name in any of the EA's or BE's or scoping process of the Ottawa or
Hiawatha NF's, until more recently, and they are few and far between.  This
can be verified by a simple FOIA request to the federal agency.  This is
truly troubling when you present yourself as leaders of forest protection to
the public in Michigan.

I know of only one lawsuit, the current Aspen over-cutting suit, that
Mackinaw has ever participated in on forest issues.  In the hundreds of
comments submitted over the years on over-cutting of  hardwoods and aspen by
NWR and others,  there is not one letter of support on the record from you or
Mackinaw Chapter.

The Mackinaw's involvement in the seemingly endless quagmire of a
Huron-Manistee old growth policy, which after ten years running, is going
nowhere, is evidence enough that simply attending Forest Service meetings,
which you and Mackinaw put such emphasis on,  is futile.  I have been told by
Mackinaw leadership that appealing timber sales is not an appropriate action
to take.  This is a fact.  By all accounts, the only strategy Mackinaw has,
is no strategy at all.

I think your greatest strength is in identifying old growth, which you have
tried to do in state forests and on the HMNF.  I have not seen any policy
change or reduction in cutting due to it, nor do I think by any stretch, that
playing footsie with these agencies,  is going to bring about any change.
Look at the record.

Please do tell us what the Mackinaw policy or "clear vision" is, I would like
to know.    If your policy is to maintain a level of harvest on national
forests, it is in direct conflict and violation of your organizations
official policy.  You are riding a slippery slope by suggesting you can
ignore this policy, because you have the authority to set your own priorities
as a chapter.  I happen to know, as Billy suggested, that there are members
and chapters of Sierra Club, who are troubled by the Mackinaw leaderships
lack of supporting their own policy of ECL.  The fact that you have told me
that your own lumber company mills national forest trees is a direct conflict
of interest in itself.

If the official ECL policy of Sierra Club is not yours or Mackinaw's
"vision,"  then perhaps a change is needed.

Murray Dailey

Enviro-Mich message from Billy Stern <billysun@chorus.net>

Hi Tim,

As someone relatively new to the region, I'm wondering if you (or
anyone) could list the actual lawsuits that Mackinaw Chapter has been
involved in that focus on USFS/NF management, for say the last 10-15
years.

"No commercial logging" aside, Murrey is not the only person I've
hear complain that the Chapters in the Great Lakes have done
relatively little to slow logging on National Forest over the past 10
years compared to other Chapters (and local groups) around the
country.

The shear numbers do seem to show that the region is still a relative
timber and pulp basket compared to other parts of the country where
activists have taken a stronger stance.  Of course, with the relative
flatness of the region and somewhat few endangered species, there may
have been fewer legal handles, but most of the suits in other parts
of the country are successful on NEPA  and other technical issues.
Your thoughts on that are welcome.

Billy Stern
John Muir Chapter Ex-com and Forest Committee member.

Murphwild1 wrote:

>>  Why does the Mackinaw Chapter of SC continue to advocate for logging in
our
>>  national forests when the official Sierra Club policy is to END COMMERCIAL
>>  LOGGING?

Murray,

>Three points:
>
>One, the policy you refer to allows members of the Sierra Club to work
>towards a bill in Congress to band commercial logging.  It doesn't force
>Chapters or activists to work on that legislation.  It allows Chapters to
>improve land management and stop bad practices on Federal lands as they see
>fit.  In fact in the debate to pass the policy, it was sold to folks that
>way.  SC policy allows Chapters to set their own priorities, within the
>framework of all our policies viewed as a whole.
>
>Two, the Mackinac Chapter works are hard as anyone to make positive
>improvements in the management of our public lands.  We actually attend
>meetings, write comments, appeal management actions, and go to court to
>implement our strategy to recover and protect Michigan's ecological
>diversity.  We do so on State and Federal public lands in Michigan.  Those
>are the priorities we have selected, and they are making a difference.
>
>Third, *no commercial logging* is not the only clear vision one can
>advocate.  The SC in Michigan has followed a clear vision, and presented it
>at many meetings and in comments to all Michigan's National Forest and All
>State forest land.
>
>I for one am proud of the Club's work in Michigan over the last two decades,
>beginning with our involvement in the first National Forest plans.
>
>Our priorities may not be the same as yours, that OK with me, hopefully
>we're all doing what we feel is best for the land.  I think a diverse set of
>tactics will get us to where we want to go, faster than only one tactic.
>
>Good luck with your work, hope you'll wish me and others working with the
>Mackinac Chapter the same.
>
>Tim Flynn
>Sierra Club, Mackinac chapter volunteer

Why does the Mackinaw Chapter of SC continue to advocate for logging in our

national forests when the official Sierra Club policy is to END COMMERCIAL

LOGGING?  I would at least like to know why the Mackinaw does not support,

take opportunity, or advocate their own organizations official policy.  I

think the public and many of the Sierra Club members and local chapters, who

voted 2 to 1 in support of END COMMERCIAL LOGGING, who expect this "mandate"

to be implemented, deserve an answer to this.

I would suggest taking our two national parks, Sleeping Bear Dunes National

Lakeshore Park, and Pictured Rocks National Park, as examples of what forests

begin to look like when they are free of commercial logging:  Walk the lush

old growth Empire Bluffs trail in SBDNPL, then drive, hike or bike hwy 72  a

few miles east to the Pierre Marquette state forest and stand in a pine

plantation, or young aspen monoculture, you will notice a profound, startling

difference.  This is but just one glaring example.  It does not take a rocket

scientist to figure this stuff out.

The National Forests and State Forests of Michigan should not be harvested

commercially at all.  There is absolutely no reason they should not be set

aside exactly as Sleeping Bear Dunes and Pictured Rocks have.  The Forest

Service should be abolished or restructered and merged with the National Park

Service for strictly a stewardship role in dealing with growing recreational

impacts--like protecting piping plovers, which the Park Service trys very

hard to do every year with volunteers, myself included.  There are years and

years of restoration work (not restoration logging) which could employ people

in the state of Michigan.

The DNR under Engler has a worse track record than the Forest Service,

yes...and of course i oppose any timber mandate or rolling over of federal

lands to the politically owned DNR, and will make my calls.  But to continue

expecting change within these agencies, and without offering a clear, concise

vision af to what is needed, is like a dragon chasing its tail.

 Murray Dailey

"From 1980 to 1991 the U.S. Forest Service timber program operated at a net

loss of $7.3 billion.  In fiscal year 1997, over $1.3 billion was

appropriated from the general fund of the U.S. Treasury and another $466

million was spent from off budget accounts for the timber sale program.  Only

$68 million of these receipts were returned to the Treasury, resulting in a

net cash loss to taxpayers of over $1.2 billion.  (Hansen, Chad, "Ending

Timber Sales On National Forests, The Facts,"  1999)."