E-M:/ Wounded turtles

I'm one of those people who always stop when I see a
turtle on the road to at least get them off the right of way.
I've saved several that haven't been hit yet from
almost certain mayhem.

I'm particularly careful in places
like Point Pelee National Park in Canada where there is
a lot of turtle traffic  [if you haven't been to Point
Pelee before, take a trip there in April or May before the
flies get bad, or in the autumn...it is an area jewel I've
been visiting since I was a child.]

More often than not, however, roadside turtles I've
encountered are already wounded.....
still alive but with a broken
shell and bleeding.  I'll move them off of the
road, but I've wondered if there is any
better approach that can be taken for wounded
turtles.  Does anyone do this professionally?
Are there any vet-competent volunteer turtle rescue organizations?
What are the veterinary prospects for saving
turtles with this kind of injury?  Do they just
succumb to later infection?  What are the most
effective techniques for road-wounded turtle life-saving?

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com
All SPAM email received is reported to www.spamcop.net