http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/101655300373854.xml

Saginaw News

Dioxin issue stirs concern

Tuesday, March 19, 2002

SCOTT DAVIS
THE SAGINAW NEWS

Kathy Henry is afraid of the soil in her yard.

Fearing high dioxin levels, the Tittabawassee Township woman plans to
wear a mask this summer when she mows near her Midland Road home
along the Tittabawassee River.

"I mow the lawn when it's dry and dusty," she said. "I'm concerned.
I'd like to see soil samples taken."

Henry and her husband, Gary, attended a community meeting Monday
after learning state officials found dioxin contamination 80 times
higher than the state's
toxic cleanup standard in Saginaw's Green Point area where the
Saginaw and Tittabawassee rivers join.

"Love Canal comes to mind," Gary Henry asked at the meeting,
referring to the heavily contaminated western New York waterway that
caused numerous health problems and forced the evacuation of nearby
residents in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Snip