E-M:/ Working toward the positive

>From Grist Magazine:

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I WANT, WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT
Jennifer Ferenstein, president of the Sierra Club, has got a new plan
for one of the nation's oldest and most politically influential
environmental groups.  Ferenstein wants the Sierra Club to emphasize
not just what it's against (e.g, drilling in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, air pollution, global warming) but also what it
supports (restoring wild salmon, better fuel efficiency, campaign
finance reform).  According to Executive Director Carl Pope, the
shift is necessary because of the post-Sept. 11 focus on national
unity.  For her part, Ferenstein says she wants her organization to
provide reliable, unexaggerated information and occasional respite
from the gloom and doom that often characterize the environmental
movement.  Is this just spin or will Ferenstein land herself in the
Grist Hall of Fame?  (We're accepting volunteers to monitor the tone
of club press releases from here on out.)

straight to the source:  San Francisco Chronicle, Associated Press,
John Heilprin, 16 Mar 2002
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/03/16/national1326EST0524.DTL>

NEPSI Press Release 0319.02.doc