From: "Steve Leuty" <SCLEUT@kalcounty.com>
To: <MJones@allegancounty.org>; <Jcooley@berriencounty.org>;
<jgruchot@berriencounty.org>; <wgoodnoe@cccd.net>;
<Eseltzer@co.emmet.co.mi>; <kmelby@co.emmet.mi.us>; <Dbaas@co.ottawa.mi.us>;
<enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>; <Sdurfee@house.state.mi.us>;
<HEknorek@ingham.org>; <srg@iserv.net>; "Cynthia Foster"
<CSFOST@kalcounty.com>; "CONNIE SELLES" <CSSELL@kalcounty.com>; "TOM
DEWHIRST" <TMDEWH@kalcounty.com>; <bachledk@msue.msu.edu>;
<clawsonb@msue.msu.edu>; <mrclist@umich.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 8:31 AM
Subject: E-M:/ National electronics recycling effort makes progress

"Representatives from electronics manufacturers, government agencies,
environmental groups, and others have achieved a major milestone in the
development of a joint nationwide plan for managing used electronics. In
their fourth meeting on March 11-12 in Washington, D.C., all stakeholders in
the National Electronics Product Stewardship Initiative (NEPSI) agreed to
work toward the establishment of a financing system that will include the
costs of managing used electronic products in the overall purchase price of
new electronic products.  [Text of Agreement attached].

The agreement commits the stakeholders to work on the development of a
"front-end financed system" during the remaining work of the NEPSI Dialogue
and to develop an agreed action plan for establishing this system that
includes federal legislation needed to facilitate the implementation of the
system. The action plan will also include steps that can be taken during the
period before the "front-end" system is in place nationally that will
improve existing systems for managing used electronics and prepare for the
new financing system." (For more, see attached press release from the
NATIONAL ELECTRONICS PRODUCT STEWARDSHIP INITIATIVE)

Until a national collection program may be implemented (see summary of press
release below), local collections for Cathode ray tubes (TVs and monitors)
especially continue to be important in order to increase public awareness of
the potential hazards of electronic wastes and maintain the pressure on
manufacturers to help address the challenge. At the local and state level,
we can compliment an eventual national program by helping to implement
collections locally (helping to identify and work with retail stores which
may offer convenient drop-offs and possibly coordinating community
collections which may be reimbursed by a national program) and by
considering legislation to prohibit the landfill/incineration disposal of
CRTs (since a national recycling collection program is expected to offer
consumers a convenient alternative).

Steve Leuty
Recycling Coordinator
Kalamazoo County
201 W KALAMAZOO AVE
KALAMAZOO MI 49007
tele: 616-384-8110
fax: 616-383-8862
e-mail: scleut@kalcounty.com

"You must become the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

NEPSI Press Release 0319.02.doc