Re: E-M:/ Another disappointing Senate vote on renewable energy

Enviro-Mich message from Isaac Elnecave <isaacmec@voyager.net>

Hello All:

The changes made by the United States Senate on the energy bill represent a step
backward in the development of renewable energy.  The Senate has not only
voted down improved fuel efficiency standards, but has also made changes to
Renewable Portfolio Standard that would actually worsen our environmental quality.

As mentioned in earlier messages, the Senate expanded the definition to include
municipal solid waste incinerators (burning trash).  These facilities are major
sources
of toxic chemicals including mercury and dioxin.  By defining MSW facilities as
green energy, this bill would actually encourage the practice of burning trash.
This
completely defeats the purpose of an RPS which is to promote clean, renewable
energy such as wind or solar energy.

We urge you to contact Senator Stabenow at 202-224-   and Senator Carl Levin
at 202-224-6221 and tell them to oppose the energy bill.  As it stands, the bill
represents a huge step backwards and they should have to start over and develop an
energy bill that protects our health, national security and environment.

Isaac Elnecave
Michigan Environmental Council