E-M:/ SENATE REJECTS MORE CLEAN, RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 21, 2002

CONTACT:
Debbie Boger, 202-675-6278

             SENATE REJECTS MORE CLEAN, RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY

Washington:  Instead of choosing a clean, safe and secure energy future,
U.S. Senators today adopted a policy that does very little to help America
cut its dependence on dirty fossil fuels or improve our nation's energy
security. Senators rejected a measure that would increase the amount of
electricity produced by clean, renewable sources like wind and solar power,
replacing it with an amendment that does little to promote renewable
energy.

Last week, the Senate also rejected higher fuel economy standards for cars,
SUVs and other light trucks, which would have saved millions of barrels of
oil. The Senate also rejected an amendment by Senator Jim Jeffords (VT-I)
that would have increased renewable energy production to 20 percent by
2020, despite studies by the Department of Energy that show this goal to be
achievable and affordable.  Now, the energy bill has no oil-savings
provision, does little to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels or  improve
our national security.

"It's time for Congress to scrap this do-nothing energy plan and go back to
the drawing board," said Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club.
"We need a cleaner, safer, and more secure energy plan that keeps our air
and environment clean and healthy and improves America's national security.
The Sierra Club had hoped Senators would support an energy plan that will
truly move us forward into the 21st century --a plan that boosts clean
energy and significantly increases the miles-per-gallon standards for our
cars and SUVs.  Unfortunately, the Senate failed to embrace these sensible
energy solutions."

Senators today rejected a proposal requiring up to 10 percent of America's
electricity be produced by renewable sources by 2020, up from the current
level of under two percent.  Instead, Senators approved a measure
introduced by Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) that would cut this requirement
by about a third.

"With modern technology, we can have clean, renewable energy and a healthy
environment," continued Pope.  "We are disappointed that our Senators did
not show far-reaching vision, but instead voted to keep America dependent
on dirty coal-fired power plants and risky nuclear reactors.  Relying on
fossil fuels, dirty power plants and risky reactors sticks families with
pollution, health problems and security concerns.  Rather than leading us
on a path to cleaner, safer, more secure electricity, the Senate chose to
keep us mired in the problems of the past."

Renewable energy helps to improve our national security because the
facilities are not centralized. While a power plant or nuclear reactor
offers a site-specific target, a wind farm or solar panels on the roofs of
buildings throughout a city reduce that risk.

                                   # # #