E-M:/ seeking help on air emmission question

Enviro-Mich message from "Miller, Gayle" <MILLERG@CLINTON-COUNTY.ORG>

Envio-Michers:

Can anyone provide me with a simple explanation of how a gallon of gasoline
converts to 20 pounds of air emmissions? The 20 pound figure is commonly
used as an average amount of air pollutants produced by burning a single
gallon of gasoline.

I used this figure in a recent publication, and I have a citizen who simply
can't understand how 6 pounds of liquid can be converted to 20 pounds of air
emmissions (frankly, I can't either). I've found all sorts of technical
information and mathmatical equations on how this works, but it makes little
sense to a lay person. I need a simple explanation (that will satisfy a
gentleman who thinks that plants give off carbon dioxide). Any help you can
provide would be appreciated!

Gayle Miller
Acting Waste Mgt. Coordinator
Clinton County Dept. of Waste Management
100 E. State St., Suite 2700
St. Johns, MI 48879
(989) 224-5187
This message has been prepared on resources owned by Clinton County, MI. It
is subject to the Internet and ONline Services Use Policy and Procedures of
Clinton County.