Re: E-M:/ Ballast slime hatches Aquatic Invaders

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

Maryann - From what I've read about the proposal to use nitrogen gas to
replace oxygen in water in holds, it sounds like a promising strategy. In
particular, an additional benefit that would help convince shippers to
implement the strategy is that it could reduce corrosion in the ships
(rusting requires oxygen as well). However, as far as I know, there hasn't
been a large-scale test with ships. I suspect that the organisms in the
ballast sediment would be much more resistant to the removal of oxygen. It
would be harder to get the nitrogen in the sediment to replace oxygen, and
from what I remember of the report, some of what was present in the
sediment were life stages that are less dependent on oxygen. This doesn't
mean that the nitrogen replacement strategy wouldn't be worth looking into,
but tests should ask what will happen to organism in sediment in holds as
well as in the ballast water.

John Rebers

At 08:50 PM 4/7/2002 -0400, Maryann Whitman wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Maryann Whitman" <maryannwhitman2@hotmail.com>
>BALLAST SLIME HATCHES AQUATIC INVADERS
>http://www.glrc.org/story.php3?story_id=1453
>
>Above is the connection to the glrc story on NPR.  I have a question.  I
>recall reading recently that it would be 'easy to remove living organisms'
>from ballast water by bubbling nitrogen gas through the hold before the
>ballast water is dumped.  My understanding is that aerobic organisms would
>be deprived of oxygen and would die.
>
>Does anyone know more about this and the possibility of such a practice
>being instituted in the Great Lakes--late as it is?
>
>Maryann Whitman

John E. Rebers
Department of Biology
Northern Michigan University