Re: E-M:/ Segways & segues

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>

Anne,

	Your point about insensitive language is well taken; insults are
not a useful form of communication.  However, the point that that writer
was trying to make--that the Segway is likely to be used by people who are
already physically unfit as an excuse to walk even less than they do
now--is a valid concern.  It is highly unlikely in today's society that
any more than a tiny handful of people will use the Segway as a substitute
for cars or other more-polluting motorized vehicles.  It is much more
likely--almost certain--that if these things are used much at all, they'll
be used by people to avoid walking.  In an age where people will spend
hundreds of dollars to buy motorized toy cars for their kindergarteners to
drive around, instead of spending a few tens of dollars to buy the kids
tricycles that would actually give them some exercise, I don't see the
Segway as contributing to anything but the general trend towards further
lack of exercise and further descent into problems with excess weight,
heart disease, and related health problems.

	--Barb Madsen