From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of Anne Woiwode
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 4:17 PM
To: Enviro-Mich
Subject: E-M:/ Motorized uses of sidewalks and trails?

Folks:

A front page story on the Lansing State Journal today provides what amounts
to a free advertisement for the Segway scooter (http://www.lsj.com/news/)
as legislators are shown riding around on the "electric personal assistive
mobility devices" (as it is called in legislation in New Hampshire, its home
base).

The questions raised in other states about these expensive little gadgets is
about the reasonableness of allowing this on non-motorized pathways, trails
and sidewalks.  While being touted by some as a help for the less than fully
ambulatory, the proposals have been wide open and not restricted use those
with special needs on non-motorized sidewalks or trails in other states. In
an age when there is tremendous and growing concern about how sedentary we
have all become, allowing such devices to claim pedestrian and non-motorized
ways seems like a serious folly. As one of my colleagues in another state
says:

"These things are costly crutches for the quasi-ambulatory obese, moving way
stations on their way to sedentary blobhood."

Where to the Michigan non-motorized trail groups come down on this kind of
proposals?

Anne Woiwode
Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http:\\michigan.sierraclub.org

enviro-mich"