E-M:/ VT lawmakers on Segway

One more thought, from VT, regarding Segways and legislation -- interesting
perspective-- AW

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/local/3000h.htm
>From the Burlington (VT) Free Press today...

Lawmaker questions sidewalk safety of new invention

By Nancy Remsen
Free Press Staff Writer

MONTPELIER -- Few lawmakers are in a better position to see the advantages
of a futuristic two-wheeled platform powered with an electric motor than
Rep. Ed Paquin, D-Fairfax. He navigates the crowded halls of the Statehouse
in a wheelchair.

He surprised many lawmakers Thursday when he opposed a bill that would
allow a new device called a Segway on sidewalks in Vermont.

SNIP

Paquin, who mostly muscles about in his wheelchair but sometimes maneuvers
on crutches, tried a Segway when representatives of the company visited the
Statehouse in February. "I love it. It is definitely cool," he told the
House on Thursday. Still, he worried that the machines would cause problems
on crowded sidewalks.

"I don't know if we have really thought out what we are turning loose on a
sidewalk," he said. "I think what we have done is become star-struck with a
cute invention."

Paquin pointed to his black wheelchair, which he parks behind his seat in
the House. "I know what havoc I can wreak if I roll in my wheelchair on a
downhill," he said. "Some people have accused me of doing some damage right
here in the Statehouse."