Re: Fwd: E-M:/ Segway Scooters

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>

On the other hand, if these scooters were confined to bicycle lanes, that
could provide further impetus for building and maintaining bike lanes.
After all, aren't bicycles considered vehicles?  Why shouldn't scooters be
considered the same way?  15 mph IS fast, and while some riders would
indeed slow down on congested sidewalks, there will always be those (like
speeders on the highway), who will try to go fast anyway, swerving in and
out and creating a hazard for pedestrians.  Why create such a risk when it
can be headed off before it materializes?

If these scooters are really a viable alternative for otherwise
mobility-impaired people (those with physical disabilities), perhaps an
exception could be made for those individuals to use them on sidewalks
(perhaps with a speed limit).

--Barb Madsen