E-M:/ Sierra Club Endorses Bonior

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Sierra Club News Release

For immediate Release
April 29, 2002 							Contact: Dan Farough
(517) 484-2372; cell (517) 214-0741

SIERRA CLUB ENDORSES BONIOR

BONIOR-SMITH ‘TREMENDOUS CONCENTRATION OF ‘GREEN ENERGY’

The Michigan Sierra Club endorsed David Bonior For Governor today at news
conferences in Detroit, Lansing and Flint.
	“We’ve been waiting a very long time for a candidate like David Bonior,”
said Tim Killeen, political chair of the Sierra Club. “Finally we have an
opportunity to elect a real fighter for Michigan’s environment. David Bonior
has a 30-year record of fighting to keep Michigan from becoming a dumping
ground for out-of-state and Canadian garbage, to protect Michigan’s Great
Lake from oil drilling, and to keep our waterways free of PCBs, mercury and
arsenic. With state Sen. Alma Wheeler Smith as his running mate, we have an
unprecedented opportunity to elect a real team for real change.”

	Sue Kelly, chapter chairperson for the Michigan Sierra Club, said the
Sierra Club evaluated the records of all candidates for Governor.

	“The choice was clear,” Kelly said. “Bonior and Smith are a tremendous
concentration of ‘Green Energy’ in one ticket.  This is a ‘dream team’ that
Environmentalists are thrilled to be part of.”   The Sierra Club noted
Bonior’s extensive history in fighting for the Great Lakes and the
environment in Congress and Smith’s record in the legislature.  “Our
membership is totally motivated to elect the Bonior-Smith team and erase the
anti-environmental legacy of the Engler Administration.  If you care about
clean water, if you care about clean air and Michigan’s beautiful land,
elect David Bonior.”

The Sierra Club is a national organization dedicated to fighting to protect
our environment. More than 20,000 people belong to the Michigan Sierra Club.

###