E-M:/ BONIOR - Reduce Urban Sprawl and Revitalize MI Cities - Press Conference 3pm Today

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Folks,

Following the 1pm endorsement with Friends of the Earth, Bonior will
traveling to Romulus to further hammer the need to reduce urban sprawl and
promote urban revitalization at a 3pm press conference at the proposed
Pinnacle Aeropark.  The Engler Posthumus Administration will be taken to
task for their neglect of Urban areas.

PINNACLE AEROPARK HURTS URBAN AREAS
Friends of the Earth Action --- an environmental group will endorse
Bonior-Smith at a news conference highlighting the need to reduce urban
spawl and the effect of unfair trade policies on our cities

May 2, 2002							Contact: (586) 468-5512
Friends of the Earth Action, an international environmental group that has
championed the environment and fought for international trade deals that
include environmental protections and worker’s rights, will endorse David
Bonior For Governor at a news conference Friday, May 3, 2002 at 3 p.m. in
Romulus, east of I-275, south of the airport, at Vining and Pennsylvania, on
the proposed site of the Pinnacle Aeropark.

Brent Blackwelder, national president of Friends of The Earth Action, will
be traveling to Michigan to make the announcement.

“The Engler-Posthumus Administration has been a disaster for the environment
and David Bonior is the best candidate to turn Michigan around,” Blackwelder
said.

“Bonior has a proven record of fighting to keep urban sprawl in check,
stopping Michigan from becoming a dumping ground for Canadian or
out-of-state trash, and protecting Michigan’s lakes, rivers and streams.”

Friends of the Earth and David Bonior chose the Pinnacle Aeropark location
to highlight the growing problem of urban sprawl and the lack of attention
the Engler-Posthumus Administration has paid to Michigan’s urban centers.

“It shows a lack of leadership and priorities to locate a major development
with thousands of potential jobs so far outside Detroit,” Bonior said.
“Revitalizing our cities benefits all of us. The Pinnacle is a missed
opportunity for Detroit, and a windfall for the Engler-McNamara afterlife.
We need a Pinnacle in Detroit, Flint, and Highland Park.  We need it in the
heart of our cities, not the heart of a wetland.”

Bonior recently received the endorsement of Clean Water Action and the
Sierra Club.