E-M:/ RE: / Bonior and Issues Affecting Women

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Diane,

Thanks for your question.  Information on Bonior's voting record on family
planning and access to reproductive health services can be found on the
Sierra Club Webpage www.sierraclub.org under politics and issues and also on
the LCV webpage.  Below is information on a vote taken last year on family
planning assistance.  A similar vote was taken on July 13 2000.  In both
cases, Sierra was pleased to find Bonior a strong voice for the
pro-environment and woman's issues side of the debate.  Additionally, Bonior
has been a consistent champion of strong environmental protections when
pollution threatens the health of children (not to mention the general
public).  Arsenic (playground equipment and water), mercury (water) etc.
etc.

A variety of factors went into the endorsement.  Bonior was a consistent
champion in almost every category.

Restrictions on International Family Planning Assistance (5/16/01)

Rapid population growth is one of the leading contributors to environmental
degradation around the world. The best way to address this problem is
through voluntary family planning programs that empower couples to make
their own choices about the size and spacing of their families. These
programs work best when they are responsive to the needs and concerns of the
women and families they serve, and one of the most important components of a
successful family planning program is providing clients with complete and
accurate information about their choices. The global gag rule undermines the
ability of family planning providers to provide that information by
restricting the activities of family planning organizations which receive
U.S. funding.

The Foreign Relations Authorization Act (H.R. 1646) sets foreign aid
priorities which include USAID assisted programs. Sierra Club supported a no
vote for the Hyde Amendment to H.R. 1646. The Amendment passed 218-210.

Those who voted NO supported the Sierra Club pro-environment position.