Re: E-M:/ Tragic loss of family farm to a mega-dairy

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <WilliamTobler@CrittersWoods.org>

Grant,
I think we may not be disagreeing here.  I did not mean for my comments to
be interpreted that because a farmer chooses to incorporate for various
legal or tax reasons, that he is necessarily a "slob" or is evil.  I
personally believe that farms are overtaxed, especially in Michigan.  Nor do
I disagree with your statement that 800 acres is not really that large.  I
am aware that a corn-soybean farmer would typically have to that large or
larger in order to make a decent income for his family.

However, as the farm becomes "much" bigger than this, the picture begins to
change in my mind.  At some point, the farm is becoming bigger than the
immediate family can manage themselves, and additional employees are taken
on-board to handle the extra workload.  At this point, the "family farm" is
losing its "sentimental aura" in my eyes, even though it may indeed be owned
by one family.  At some point, the patriarch farmer is sitting behind a desk
managing a business, rather than personally farming.  Now this is not
necessarily evil either, it just progressively loses my special sentiments
willing to create special subsidies to save the "family farm".  If we want
to save the "corporate farm" too, then let's call it that.

In all cases, I am not willing to condone practices that border on filth,
disease and injury, either to the farm animals or to the environment beyond
the owner's property.  There is probably no question that intensive feedlots
make more profits, or allow lower production costs.  However, as a consumer
and as a citizen one has to make choices between a cheaper pricetag and the
"total cost", where total cost includes some value to the environment and to
one's sensibilities.

Hence we have automotive emissions regulations that drive up the price of a
car, but presumably with a benefit in air quality to us all.  And many other
similar examples.

The old fashioned traditional family farm got by thru its diversity.  Many
different crops were involved supported by a variety of livestock
operations.  Land rotations were used to control weeds, disease and the need
for many external inputs, and this "rotation" included the livestock
operations.  In the quest for efficiencies and simplicity, operations
trended towards monocropping and intensive operations.  Yes, it's cheaper.
But there are other costs, and at some point these costs become
unacceptable, at least to me.  The more the intense the operation, the more
likely it trends towards the "slob" factor.

Part of the problem is that smaller operations are taxed to death.  I
haven't looked at it in years, but at one time it was not easily possible to
mix farm income with off-farm income as far as offsetting off-farm income
taxes with farm losses.  The small full time farmer gets to play some very
necessary accounting practices that become unavailable to the part-time
farmer.  "Hobby" farming is not necessarily bad, it's just another variation
upon the diversification story above.

I don't agree that the "family farm as it has been viewed doesn't exist
anymore".  Admittedly it is becoming scarcer for the above mentioned
reasons.  Regardless, when we are talking about "saving the family farm", it
is this kind of operation that comes to my mind.  If you want to talk about
saving "American Agribusiness", then that's another discussion altogether.
But one thing for sure, I am NOT interested in spending my tax dollars to
increase the wealth of wannabe land developers that are calling themselves
family farm owners.  Nor am I willing to condone any kind of operation where
filth and disease is the rule rather than exception, regardless of anything.