Re: E-M:/ Mobile Park Rezoning

Enviro-Mich message from EcoVision@aol.com

Shannon,

WilliamTobler wrote:

<< As a Planning Commissioner member myself, I find it curious that we cannot
consider the impact upon schools by crowding and costs shifted to other
property owners.  It's a political/legal matter that developed in Michigan.
However, it IS legitimate to consider the impact upon other public services
such as water, sewer, roads, fire, police and whatever.  These facilities
contribute next to nothing in tax revenues for these services, but the
facilities inhabitants frequently demand more than an equal share for the
services, and they vote in elections to increase YOUR taxes to pay for the
services that they want and don't have to pay for. >>

Mr. Tobler brings up an interesting point about the impact upon "other public
services." Question for Mr. Tobler: How is the impact of a mobile home
development, regarding public services, brought into the Planning and Zoning
proceedings? Should the PZ Commission, Township or public request a written
impact statement from the various public services? I would think that
Township officials would be responsive to the public's concern of increased
taxes.

In a small or rural community the per capita cost of expanding a sewer/water
system can be considerable. Should taxpayers subsidize the development? It
seems to me that the developers, who are going to profit from the MHP, should
cover all their costs up front.

For information on the economic impact of new development go to google.com
and do a search on:  "cost of community services"

Example:  http://www.farmlandinfo.org/fic/tas/tafs-cocs.html

Wes Knollenberg
Barry Twp.