E-M:/ Sierra Club presents "Preserving Michigan" by Dave Dempsey

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@wccnet.org>

Friends,

Michigan was once legendary for environmental protection. In recent years
we've reversed course.  At this month's Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group
public meeting in Ann Arbor on Tuesday, May 21, Dave Dempsey, author of
the new book "Ruin & Recovery:  Michigan's Role as a Conservation Leader,"
will describe how the Sierra Club helped make Michigan a paragon of
environmental stewardship, and how we could lead the way again.

Dave's presentation is titled "Preserving Michigan: How the Sierra Club
Helped Save Our Natural Wonders."  It will be followed by our social hour,
which features light refreshments and gives you a chance to meet others
who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.
You can also learn about local Sierra Club activities including hikes,
service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.  If you want to
help stop sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries, books, CDs,
and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have
EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group's monthly public meetings are held on
the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical
Gardens, located in east Ann Arbor at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes
and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are
free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is
required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this
message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

HVG Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro