Re: E-M:/ Riverview: Airborne sulfur problem

Enviro-Mich message from William Tobler <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

Absolutely we have problems with sulfur in Monroe and Washtenaw Counties,
specifically hydrogen sulfide in ground water.

The hydrogen sulfide is naturally occurring, but it is "naturally"
occurring in the ground water 150 feet down.  The problem is that
the limestone quarries mine down to similar depths, the unwanted
water rushes into their hole, and they pump it out (often illegally)
into the streams to go to Lake Erie.

There are three side effects.  First, the streams are poisoned by
the hydrogen sulfide and the total dissolved solids, and then placed
on the Section 303D non-attainment list from the point source NPDES
discharge.

Two, the air surrounding the quarry and for miles downwind reeks
of rotten eggs, a clean air violation.

Third, the drinking water aquifers dry up and thousands of homes
go without potable water for 10 years or more.  Some deepen their
wells to compete with the quarry, but then this brings the high levels
hydrogen sulfide into their homes as indoor air pollution, with the
health problems that you have described, but also, everything made
of copper in the house is quickly destroyed, including the electrical
wiring in the walls, the plumbing, refrigerators, TVs, computers,
and so on.  Ever wonder where electrical fires in housing comes
from?

It's really swell to live in the Water Wonderland with all of the
aggressive and effective environmental enforcement, and with a state
government working diligently for the welfare of the citizens and
our environment.

Bill

At Tuesday, 21 May 2002, Ishgooda <ishgooda@voyager.net> wrote:

---------
>Enviro-Mich message from Ishgooda <ishgooda@voyager.net>
---------

>Across the two lane highway from our apartment complex is the Sibley
Quarry,