Re: E-M:/ [Fwd: GLIN==> Genetically Enhanced Algae Used to Recover Toxic Heav...

In a message dated 05/22/2002 12:24:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ishgooda@voyager.net writes:
What aquatic species will find the newest harebrained bio created "fix" an irresistible delicacy...and thus make it easier for these sediments to enter the food chain than at present?
Ish

http://www.sg.ohio-state.edu/publications/economics/tl-0798metal.html

Ish,
While I find your concern about bioengineering algal forms valid, to dismiss the approach completely out of hand seems unwarranted.  More appropriately, I think, would be a discussion of the parameters and criteria by which such a critter would be used; what conditions would need to be met in its use; assessment of risks of use; escape potential and consequences, prevention, etc.  Homo sapien needs all the tools we can get, but we have been known to misuse them.  However, to refuse to explore options is not much wiser either.
Regards,
Chuck

If you have a philosophical or ethical objection to GE, I can easily accept that.