Re: E-M:/ Algae Used to Recover Toxic Heav...

Enviro-Mich message from geodynamics@comcast.net

Maryann,

> Once the noxious item is "sequestered" shouldn't one then have to remove
the
> carcasses and do something else with them in order that the noxoius item
not
> end up back where it was to begin with?

In this case that surely seems to be the goal. The following quote was
extracted from
http://www.sg.ohio-state.edu/publications/economics/tl-0798metal.html (Twine
Line, July/August 1998, p. 3) [note that the link was in the original post
on EM.]

"The process to extract heavy metals from water involves the use of a
cylinder-shaped device designed by Dr. Sayre and the other researchers. This
device holds modified Chlamydomonas reinhardtii cells within plastic
resin-filled beads. The heavy metal contaminated water flows through the
cylinder where the heavy metal ions are sequestered by algal cell material.
Following removal of the heavy metals from the contaminated water, heavy
metals are selectively released by changing the pH of the solution. Recent
testing has demonstrated that 90 percent of the heavy metals are recovered
within a ten minute timeframe using this method. The cylinder can be used up
to 12 cycles without losing any effectiveness in heavy metal recovery."

The dead critters are being used like a filter and the bad stuff is being
periodically flushed out for disposal.

Regards,
-Tim-

Timothy Carpenter