Re: E-M:/ Algae Used to Recover Toxic Heav...

In a message dated 5/24/2002 11:04:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Cubbagec@aol.com writes:

"Lead and cadmium both have numerous valuable uses"

Pardon the tangent, but is it true that these toxic metals do have valuable uses?  I don't know much about all the uses for lead and less about cadmium but I do know that we once assumed mercury also had numerous valuable uses but now know that every, (nearly every?) use of mercury can and should be substituted with a less toxic material.  Any substitutes may initially cost more but when we consider the total cost to society perhaps higher initial costs actually become cost savings.

Rob Cedar
HEAT- Hamtramck Environmental Action Team