E-M:/ Michigan's Top Dioxin Emitters

Michigan's top emitters of total congeners of
dioxin and dioxin-like compounds (annual emissions
in GRAMs):

3.50    Cons Energy J. H Campbell Plant, West Olive
2.90    Cons Energy Karn Weadock Plant, Bay City
2.20    GMC Saginaw Metal Casting Division
1.82    Lansing Board of Water and Light, Eckert Plant
1.797   Southdown, Inc. cement plant, Charlevoix
1.60    Lafarge Corporation, Alpena
1.34    Detroit Edison Monroe Power Plant
1.30    Alchem Aluminum, Coldwater

Other media information on dioxin/dioxin-like compounds....

Top Michigan discharger of dioxin/dioxin-like compounds (total
congeners) to surface waters:

Dow Chemical Company   5.90 grams/year

Top two Michigan onsite landfill disposers of dioxin/dioxin-like compounds
(total congeners)

Dow Chemical Company   320.6 grams/year
Mead Paper, Escanaba      12 grams/year

Top two Michigan generators of dioxin in waste for off-site disposal:

Alchem Aluminum, Coldwater    80.5 grams
Imco Recycling, Coldwater    63.5 grams

(there is no apparent report for the aluminum recycling operation
that has caused problems in Oakland County)

NOTE.....   I see no reports for any municipal waste incinerator
or municipal sewage sludge incinerators for either mercury or
dioxin releases.  I don't know offhand whether this SIC code is required
to report or not.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com