Re: E-M:/ FW: International RV Club lauds McLain State Park

Enviro-Mich message from "Bradley Wurfel" <wurfelbj@michigan.gov>

Anne, it is a terrific honor, and thank you for providing an opportunity
to bolster understanding about what our state parks system is doing to
"provide the best protection of and education about our natural
heritage."

In October of 1999, we initiated a supplemental to the existing
Michigan History curriculum that is user friendly and, importantly, MEAP
friendly. It is a program that highlights Michigan's world-class natural
resources. The fourth-grade curriculum is being used by 65% of all
Michigan 4th grade teachers in their classrooms. Of these teachers, 85%
report that the program enhances student learning and strengthens MEAP
testing strategies; 86% believe the program has relevance to the overall
curriculum; and, 94% report the program is appealing to students, and
therefore contributes to learning.

This exciting, fun, Michigan-specific natural history and outdoor
conservation curriculum is clearly catching on in Michigan's public,
private and charter schools. It has created an interest in students and
teachers to learn more about our outdoor heritage, so they feel
comfortable accessing Michigan's state parks and forests with their
families, today and in the future.

To help ensure this linkage, we created the Kids in the Park program,
where park activities incorporate topics such as our Great Lakes
shoreline, trail adventures, camping fun, Michigan fish (and how to
catch them), marshes and wetlands, birds, and general wildlife
management, among many examples. This program has not gone unnoticed by
members of the conservation community. We have received awards from the
National Association of State Park Directors, the Michigan Recreation
and Parks Association, the National Wild Turkey Federation, and the
prestigious Danial Flaherty Park Excellence Award, which encompasses
this entire region. We're hopeful that the Sierra Club might some
positive acknowledgment to this state-of-the-art, best-in-the-nation
outdoor curriculum.

Finally, we invite you and all enviromichers to personally visit our
Visitor Centers in the state parks system. A few stand-outs that focus
on protecting conservation heritage and educating youngsters of every
age include:
Hoffmaster, and the Genevieve Gillette Visitors Center, where
Michigan's coastal sand dunes are the focus.
The Waterloo Discovery Center, where geology and the importance of
Michigan's surface and subsurface mineral resources are the focus;
Bay City, where our wetland heritage and wetland protection and
education are the focus;
and, you might also consider the Carl T. Johnson Hunting and Fishing
Heritage Center.

Thanks for providing us an opportunity to respond.
b.

Brad Wurfel
Press Secretary,
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
517-335-3014

>>> "Anne Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org> 05/29/02 10:32AM >>>

While I am sure this is a terrific honor, and not to be disparaged, I
wish
our State Parks were instead being honored for providing the best
protection
of and education about our natural heritage.  AW