E-M:/ DNR and Env/Natural History education

Enviro-Mich message from Cubbagec@aol.com

Anne and Brad,
Anne, Your expression of disappointment to Brad regarding the lack of
appropriate curriculum material was right on target!!  When we lived in
Milford, we were privileged to have a number of state parks nearby, including
Proud Lake and staff who hosted the 6th graders from many of the area schools
for a week of camping and nature interpretation.  Many local people,
including yours truly, were drawn on to provide classes and activities that
helped the leaders of the next generation learn about stewardship and other
important resource lessons.

Sadly, the State left all this go across a number of years and it is in such
a sad state of disrepair that it is disheartening to find that the MDNR
believes what they have is good :>(  It is better than not having it, but it
is so out of touch with the "class act" in which Michigan was once
justifiably proud and a national leader.   DNR leadership, ask your staff
what they would like their parks to look like and their educational
curriculum to consist of.  I know there are some of the great people there
who rember what once was.  Sure budgets are not just tough, they are brutal.
Budgeting is always prioritizing, however.  Kids education is hardly a
priority that we can continue to sacrifice.  They are the voters of tomorrow
and if they don't know the value of what we have, they won't know what there
is to protect.

Brad, Good luck with continuing to improve the outreach.  There is lots to
work on without much to work with.  But you do have good staff and willing
volunteers if you work it right.

Chuck

Chuck