Re: E-M:/ Sierra Club v. River Ridge Farms

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

While I find all of this interesting - is it not true that Mr. Isherwood is a paid adversary of Mr. Hanenburg?  So it seems that point is a standoff.

An issue I suggest the Sierra Club needs to pay attention to is one of credibility - even the summary of the "facts" seem to be subjective here since I assume each side was in the same room.  Yet whether it is ALAR or Bill Ford the desire to run an ad campaign on every issue leads one down a path of puffery at least and probably causes some to doubt the veracity of all the press releases.

I have no doubt the Sierra Club has had an impact - but the media style blitzs can be troublesome.  I suspect that Ken would have had little basis to object if the summary had been more like "Sierra Club announces agreement with _____ and _____ that provides for _____, _____ and _______.   A thank you to Mr. Isherwood and those who worked on the issues would have gotten the message out without the puffery.

on the other hand maybe the Sierra Club does not care what "its adversaries" think...........

I do appreciate Ann's attempts to summarize the facts and timing - but I have said before the unfortunate aspect of how this whole thing has been handled is it that it has made the entire farming community look like bad guys - which I think is avoidable and should be regrettable.

>>> "Anne Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org> 06/20/02 06:02PM >>>

While not wishing to belabor this debate, nor bore Enviro-Mich readers, the
following comments from our attorney, Aaron Isherwood, will provide a
fitting endpoint for this debate- AW

The Sierra Club's goal is, and has always been, to get Mr. Hanenburg to
make improvements to his facilities to prevent future unlawful discharges
of manure to Michigan waterways.  We are very pleased to have achieved that
goal.

Readers should be aware that Ken Vermeullen is a paid lawyer for Ed
Hanenburg and, as such, a professional adversary of the Sierra Club.  While
we respect Ken's persistent defense of his client, his view is hardly an
objective one.   It is not surprising that Ken would like readers to
believe that the Sierra Club had nothing to do with the improvements his
client is making at the River Ridge and White Acres facilities.

For the Sierra Club, it is far more important that the improvements are
being made than that we get the credit. Nonethless, to set the record
straight, here are our responses to Ken's comments.

First, while Ken is correct that many of the improvements being made at
River Ridge and White Acres are the result of an EPA enforcement order
issued after the Sierra Club announced its intent to file suit, he fails to
mention that the Sierra Club is directly responsible for EPA's enforcement.
(In contrast, despite a 15-year history of violations, the MDEQ has done
nothing but issue slap-on-the-wrist consent orders that failed to prevent
unlawful discharges of manure to Michigan waterways.)  If the Sierra Club
had not brought the problems at River Ridge to EPA's attention, the agency
likely would not have gotten involved.

Second, Ken is correct that Mr. Hanenburg did not purchase the River Ridge
dairy until 1991.  He fails to point out, however, Mr. Hanenburg was a
parter in Agri Investments which owned the dairy in 1985 when it discharged
over 1 million gallons of manure to the Grand River and that Mr. Hanenburg
signed the consent order on behalf of Agri Investments for the resulting
fish kill.  As such, he bears some responsibility, if not complete
responsibility, for the pollution problems that occurred at the facility
prior to 1991.

Third, Ken is correct that Mr. Hanenburg made a contribution, in lieu of
civil penalties, to GVWRI for water testing as part of his consent decree
with the state.  Ken proposed to the Sierra Club that Mr. Hanenburg make a
similar contribution as part of his settlement with the Sierra Club.  We
investigated GVWRI and concluded that such a contribution would help the
Sierra Club's overall efforts to improve Michigan's water quality, and we
therefore accepted Ken's proposal.  The Sierra Club deserves credit for
forcing Mr. Hanenburg to make this additional contribution, which will
provide important information about water quality and, we hope, will help
to deter future violations.

Finally, we must respectfully disagree with Ken's statement that the
backroom dealings by the MDEQ and Mr. Hanenburg, which resulted in a
slap-on-the-wrist consent judgment which was intended (but ultimately
failed) to derail the Sierra Club's lawsuit, is "precisely how the citizen
suit provisions are supposed to work."  In similar circumstances, many
other state agencies have worked cooperatively with environmental groups
that issue 60-day notice letters.  The MDEQ chose instead to work with the
violator to try to derail the Sierra Club's enforcement.  As one federal
court put in when discussing an environmental citizen suit provision,
"Congress made clear that citizen groups are not to be treated as nuisances
or troublemakers, but rather as welcomed participants in the vindication of
environmental interests."  While many MDEQ staff have welcomed the Sierra
Club's efforts, the agency as a whole has treated us more as troublemakers,
even though, in theory at least, we are on the same side.

Aaron Isherwood
Staff Attorney
Sierra Club Environmental Law Program
85 Second Street, 2d Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105-3441

Confidential:  This electronic message and all contents
contain information from the law firm of Honigman Miller
Schwartz and Cohn LLP which may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee
only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited. If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us immediately (1.313.465.7000)
and destroy the original message and all copies.