E-M:/ Dempsey on lack of reporting of ozone alerts City Pulse

Dave Dempsey, MEC policy advisor, has an article in City Pulse, a Lansing
alternative newspaper, regarding the failure to report ozone alerts in the
regular media in Lansing. Dave notes that we get info now on heat indices,
which is good info as well from a public health standpoint, but this
critical info that may actually help avoid lifethreatening asthma attacks is
not being reported.  Read his article at:

http://citypulse@city-pulse.org/020703/health/index.html

I particularly appreciate this issue as an asthmatic -- right now, Alex
Sagady's reports on Enviro-Mich are the only place I see these alerts, which
means that if I am deciding whether to ride my bike to work I have to assume
it will not be a bad day, or risk an asthma attack.  Yes, asthmatics DO
suffer during ozone action days -- sometimes you'll suddenly realize you
have been wheezing all day and the medication is just not helping the way it
should, only to realize after the fact that the air is the cause.

AW

Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http://michigan.sierraclub.org