E-M:/ Content from Bonior Campaign, Part 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" ------------------------------------------------------------------------- David Bonior: A Champion for our Environment

David Bonior has been endorsed for Governor of Michigan by:
· Michigan Sierra Club            · Clean Water Action            · Friends of the Earth           · Humane USA

David Bonior:
“There is a difference in this race for Governor. I am the only candidate with a 30-year pro-environment record. In the 70's, when I served in the State Legislature, I cut my teeth on environmental issues. Many don’t remember that I was the author of the first-in-the-nation ban on PCBs and that I fought with activists to win ballot approval of our bottle deposit law. When things looked bleak in the first hundred days of the Gingrich Congress and they wanted to repeal the Clean Water Act, I led the fight against them. For those efforts, I earned the Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter’s “Legislator of the Year” award and the 1996 “Environmental Watchdog of the Year” award from the Natural Resources Defense Council.

In 1999, I prevented weapons-grade plutonium shipments from being transported through St. Clair County and across the Blue Water Bridge, and I also received a 100% voting record from the League of Conservation Voters that year. And just this past year, I built a bipartisan coalition to enact a ban on Great Lakes oil drilling and to reduce the amount of arsenic in our drinking water. I have a record of environmental activism that cannot be matched by any of the other candidates.

For me, I don’t just work on environmental issues when it’s convenient or politically expedient, my wife Judy and I live our lives with an environmental ethic that is waiting to be re-awoken in our state. We have traveled to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge together, where standing on the Achilik River with the mighty Brooks Range to one side and the Arctic coastal plain to the other was one of the most humbling experiences we have ever had. In 1997, Judy and I walked from our home in Mt. Clemens to the Mackinac Bridge. Along the way, we couldn’t help but think just how blessed we are in Michigan to have such a beautiful place to live. I will be a governor that brings our environmental ethic back.”

David Bonior and Alma Wheeler Smith will:
· Ban out-of-state and Canadian trash.
· Expand Michigan’s bottle bill.
· Stop water diversions and enact a water management plan.
· Implement real time monitoring of water quality and create a water treatment construction loan pool.
· Increase resources for water treatment and sewer infrastructure improvements.
· Strengthen and strictly enforce polluter pay laws.
· Promote policies that restore our forests, wetlands and public lands to their natural beauty.
· Redirect resources away from building new roads and promoting sprawl, to restoring existing
   neighborhoods, redeveloping brownfields, investing in transit, and creating urban parks.
· Make conservation the centerpiece of farm policy.
· Partner with our environmental leaders and our universities to develop innovative technologies to
   modernize our power plants, clean up pollution and save energy.
· Provide tax credits for consumers who use alternative sources of energy to power their homes, cars or
   businesses.
· Promote the use of efficient and renewable energy sources by state agencies.
· Protect our remaining old growth stands.
· Provide more conservation and land acquisition funding for forested areas in our state.
· End the Engler-Posthumus DEQ.  Restore our DNR to national prominence by promoting policies that
   favor conservation, protection and restoration of our resources.

Alex J. Sagady & Associates  http://my.voyager.net/~ajs/sagady.pdf

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

=============================================================ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/ Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" =============================================================