E-M:/ Sierra Club Endorses Vern Ehlers for Congress

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

News From The Michigan Sierra Club

For immediate Release
Monday, July 8, 2002 							Contact: Dan Farough
              (517) 484-2372; cell (517) 214-0741

SIERRA CLUB ENDORSES EHLERS

Republican Congressman Earns Praise for Arctic Refuge,
Fuel Efficiency and Great Lakes Votes

GRAND RAPIDS – On the banks of the Grand River, the Michigan Sierra Club
announced its’ endorsement of Congressman Vern Ehlers in his reelection bid
for the 3rd Congressional Seat.  Representative Ehlers earned praise from
the Sierra Club for a series of votes in 2001 on public lands protection,
efficiency, as well as other key conservation and environmental issues.  In
particular, the Club cited Ehlers’ votes to protect the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, the Great Lakes and National Monuments from oil drilling.

“In voting to protect the Great Lakes and our national treasures from
drilling, and in supporting measures to preserve farmland and address air
pollution, Representative Ehlers has served the people of the 3rd
Congressional District well,” said Syed Naqvi, Political Chair of the West
Michigan Sierra Club.  “We are very pleased to endorse Congressman Ehlers.”

The Sierra Club called Congressman Ehlers “courageous” in voting to increase
the fuel efficiency of SUVs and light trucks to equal that of cars by 2007.
“Congressman Ehlers was the lone member of the Michigan delegation who had
the political courage to vote for greater fuel efficiency of our SUVs and
light trucks,” said Marty Lore, Chair of the West Michigan Group of Sierra
Club.  “The nation desperately needs greater fuel efficiency to break our
dependence on foreign oil and clean the air.”

“The Sierra Club is a principled organization that has a strong record of
protecting our environment, said Congressman Ehlers, a 20 year member of the
Club.  Protecting the environment for the next generation is what it means
to be conservative.  I believe we have a responsibility to the next
generation to protect our natural heritage and will continue to champion the
environment in Congress.  I am very pleased to accept this endorsement.”

The endorsement of Congressman Ehlers marks the first endorsement of a
Republican by the Sierra Club in Michigan for this election cycle with more
to come.  “Ehlers is an advocate within his Party for the environment and
the Sierra Club applauds him,” said Jan O’Connell, National Sierra Club
Board Member from West Michigan.  “With Vern Ehlers, I think we see hints
that the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt and Bill Milliken has returned.  The
Sierra Club will be there to give support, regardless of political party, to
those who support our air, land and water.”

The Sierra Club is a national organization dedicated to fighting to protect
our environment. More than 20,000 people belong to the Michigan Sierra Club.

###