Re: E-M:/ editorial against yucca mountain nuke dump

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Dave Dempsey wrote:

> Unlike other media outlets that have bought the nuclear industry's rhetoric
> hook, line and sinker, the Lansing State Journal editorializes today against
> the Yucca Mountain nuke site, coming up for a vote in the U.S. Senate today
> or tomorrow.  The Journal deems transportation of the waste an unacceptable
> risk to Michigan citizens.
>
> http://www.lsj.com/opinions/editorials/020709eds1_(yucca).html

The editorial was not "against yucca mountain nuke dump". It said:

 "Eventually, Yucca Mountain should be the nation's nuclear waste
  repository. But not now; not while transporting the waste is
  complicated by the threat of a terrorist attack."

However the objection is questionable. We are now at a more heightened
state of alert in regard to possible terrorist attacks. Now would seem to
be the best moment to reduce the scattered storage of nuclear waste in
situations of less security around the country.

In addition, the history of the safety of the transportation of nuclear
materials around the country is an excellent one. This objection seems to
be more of a last-resort argument than a factual concern.

--Rane Curl