Re: E-M:/ More on PM in Michigan

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Brown <mbrown@kalnet.net>

Alex has described the particulate problems in Michigan prior to the
Clean Air Act with his usual clarity.

I grew up in Michigan and was working at Dow during my college years. In
the forties our front porch would be covered with black dust of varying
sizes depending on the direction of the wind, etc. We had to sweep it
daily so my younger siblings could play on the porch.

I remember trips to Chicago to visit grandparents. Passing through Gary
not only required closed windows but reduced visibility was easily
observed. The smell was also hard on my sister who had a "weak stomach."

Power plants where you now see plumes of smoke had long plumes of black
particulate.

We still have a long way to go. Just because you can't see it, doesn't
mean it is clean. Many toxic materials still go up into the air and come
down in one form or another--either deposited in rain or just settling
out in dry deposition.

The Clean Air Act of 1970 has made a visible difference as did the Clean
Water Act (which envisioned a zero discharge by now). Things look
better; and, they are. Now we know more about the effects of pollution
on human health and the environment and there need to be constant
rethinking and undating.

The Clean Air Act was a step on a journey. Happy traveling.

Mary Brown

---