E-M:/ The Best Union Experience: Community Outreach

Enviro-Mich message from CSim592951@aol.com

Hello Friends, truckloads of thanks to everyone who has come out to help so
far and we welcome those who are still planning to join us. Two weeks ago we
had about 60 people including a contingent of UAW volunteers and other
supporters who brought a front loader and back hoe, a dumpster,  weed wackers
and more. One veteran union member said it was his best experience since
joining the union. We cleaned more than a third of the industrial site and
began to prepare the green site across the street for future gardening. Folks
were out there from 7:30 a.m. to mid afternoon, worked real hard and had a
good time meeting old and new friends. Thanks also to those who brought food
and water and those who came to paint the rocks and bricks. All contributions
are most welcome.

Next Saturday, Jul 20, we will reconvene at the site from 8 a.m. to noon with
about 70 volunteers from the Mormon Church and others. We are in dire need of
water, fruit and hotdogs!!!!. If anyone knows anyone with a truck that can
haul dirt, please get in touch with me 623-8238 or Elena  emhgv@aol.com.  We
have pleanty of t-shirts, sun visors, gloves and bags. We can also use some
paint of any color, and small brushes for the kids. The art teacher, Linda
Rice, at Thirkel Elementary will be helping with her students who will be
doing public arts projects for the community. The NW Goldberg daycare center
will also have their kids helping us with painting the rocks and bricks. If
you can come out for just a short period that is also appreciated!

Thanks to the dedicated Michigan Citizen reporters for your excellent
coverage of the event last week.

If I left out anything, feel free to add it. Thanks again for all of your
wonderful support.

charles simmons
Elena H
Brenda S