E-M:/ RIVERS & DINGELL TIED 47% - 47%

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Folks,

The most closely watched primary race in the nation just got a whole lot
closer.  An earlier poll in the Nation showed Rivers down by 3% or so.  The
race is tightening fast with choice, gun violence and environment weighing
as decisive factors in the race.  Below is a press release from the Rivers
campaign.

-Dan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE	         CONTACT: MATT BURGESS
WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 2002	   matt@rivers4congress.com
			               734/484-3663 or 734-678-7020

Rivers: “We’ve Got Big Mo!”
- Rivers Cites New Poll Showing Her Tied at 47 Percent -

YPSILANTI – Congresswoman Lynn Rivers today declared that she has momentum
on her side in the final weeks to win the August 6th Democratic primary.
This week Rivers has campaigned with Sierra Club’s Carl Pope at an
Environmental Roundtable and next week she will discuss preventing gun
violence with Sarah Brady.  Rivers cited a poll released today by EMILY’s
List showing her tied with Dingell at 47 percent.  Rivers also said she is
receiving enthusiastic support going door-to-door talking to voters.

“We’re proud of the energetic and positive campaign we’re running,” Rivers
said.  “I’m out going door to door every weekend getting an amazing response
from voters and now we’re even in the polls!  We’ve got Big Mo!  We’re
feeling good and executing our plan for victory.”

The Rivers campaign is implementing an aggressive grassroots voter contact
strategy to turn out the vote all over the new district.  To date, the
campaign has over 250 volunteers organizing and going door-to-door in their
communities to re-elect Lynn Rivers.

“I’m so excited to be a part of this campaign,” said Gloria Harb, a Rivers
volunteer.  “It’s so important that Lynn Rivers returns to Congress.  She’s
the only candidate who shares my beliefs and understands my life.”

Married and a mother of two by the time she was 21, Lynn Rivers worked her
way through the University of Michigan and Wayne State law school with a
combination of student loans and determination.  She entered politics as a
mom with young children who got mad at the system and served on the Ann
Arbor School Board.  Rivers is proud of her fights in Washington to protect
Social Security, create a prescription drug benefit under Medicare, save our
children from gun violence, defend our environment from big polluters, and
to always protect a woman’s right to choose.

###