Re: E-M:/ conservation, environmental advocates endorse granholmfor governor

Enviro-Mich message from Tim <timf@mac.com>

> From: "Dave Dempsey" <davedem@hotmail.com>

> Two Former DNR Directors Head List of 40
> Who Say Granholm Will Lead Michigan's Environmental Comeback

Dave,

Maybe you can clear this up for me?  I went to the Granholm web site and
looked at her environmental agenda.  For habitat management I didn't find
anything about restoring Michigan's native habitat, but I did find the
following:

>>Manage Michiganšs fish and wildlife resources with stewardship and
sustainability.

>>In a Granholm Administration, Michiganšs fish and wildlife resources will be
>>managed by using the best science available and the input of sportsmen and
>>women. The Natural Resource Commission will be directed to obtain public
>>input, analyze it, and balance this with what is recommended by professional
>>staff. Our goal will be to manage resources in order to achieve healthy and
>>harvestable game and fish populations for Michiganšs sportspersons, while also
>>promoting the management of non-game species.

What I find troubling is that fish and wildlife under a Granholm
administration, will be managed "to achieve healthy and harvestable"
wildlife with input from sportsmen.  In fact it implies that all of our
natural resources will be managed with a focus on harvestable populations.

I'm guessing that restoring native habitat would come under the *while also*
phrase about non-game species.  A pretty narrow vision for recovering and
restoring Michigan's native flora and fauna and the natural communities they
once inhabited.

Where is the mention of promoting old growth forests, which once dominated
more than 65 percent of Michigan?  Where is the commitment to managing
primarily for native forest communities, from old growth forest to savannas?

Instead what I see is a commitment to continue the present DNR policy of
timber n targets, i.e. Non-native forest communities driven by clearcuts, so
called game management.  In fact the flora and fauna of Michigan seem to be
divided into to groups, game and non-game.

Sincerely hoping for more,

Tim Flynn