Re: E-M:/ conservation, environmental advocates endorse granholmfor governor

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davedem@hotmail.com>

Tim,

As the Attorney General said in the current issue of the North Woods Call,
she supports old growth designations and opposes the timber harvest mandate
on state forests so unwisely imposed by the Engler Administration and
Legislature.

I wonder how you can say the platform "implies that all of our
natural resources will be managed with a focus on harvestable populations"
when the same sentence from which you quote talks about promoting management
of non-game populations.

You apparently missed some habitat-related initiatives in her platform:

* Protect rivers and streams with new initiatives under Michigan’s
nationally recognized Natural Rivers Act. Not a single new river has been
designated during the Engler-Posthumus Administration.

* Let more of our rivers run free again by developing a dam removal program
that will help restore river ecosystems, flow rates, and flow patterns as
well as re-establish natural floodplains by removing dams that are no longer
useful.

* Expand farmland and open space preservation programs. The purchase of
development rights (PDR) offers great promise as a method of conserving
prime farmlands and essential habitats. Jennifer Granholm will work with
communities to find funding sources -- such as the income from an expanded
bottle bill-- for Michigan’s PDR program and fee-simple acquisition of
critical lands and habitats. She will also support the development of a
transfer program for development rights and seek creation and expansion of
tax credits for donations of funds and lands to our many effective,
successful private land conservancies.

Thanks for your good work to protect old growth.

Dave