E-M:/ DEQ Response to Sierra Club Water Monitoring Program

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Folks,

Several intersting stories appeared in papers around the state on the Sierra
Club's launch of the Water Sentinels project - a program to empower
community members impacted by animal factory pollution with tools they need
to monitor water quality around factory farms.

The DEQ response has been less than inspiring....

Quote: "The places they're talking about (in Lenawee County), we already
know there's a problem and we're already actively addressing the problems,"
said Mr. Hamilton, chief of the Surface Water Quality division (Its worth
noting that the reason they know there is a problem is because they were
told by people who have taken upon themselves to test the waters). "If they
come across a new problem then fine, let us know."

Story link below:

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20020731&Category=NEWS19&A
rtNo=207310010&Ref=AR
Groups step up testing of water near large farms
Sierra Club of Michigan adds program

-Dan