Re: E-M:/ Granholm Can't Take it

Enviro-Mich message from sgutt@umich.edu

I agree that we should be thankful that at least 4 of the 5 gubernatorial
candidates promise a future administration that will be substantially more
environmentally friendly than the Engler administration.  I disagree with
Dave Dempsey, however, that politics should not be played divisively.  This
is a primary, after all, and it is a process of determining the major party
candidates.  Democrats can--and will--come together after Aug. 6 to promote
whoever wins for November.

This is not to condone smear tactics; but a plausible case can be made that
much of the political cynicism amongst mainstream American voters, and the
country's shift to the right over the past two decades, are in part due to
the fact that the Democratic Party long ago ceded the political and moral
debate to the Republican right, and has ever since become too afraid to
stand for any truly discernable values.

Leadership is about bringing people together, but it is also about standing
for taking positions that people can recognize.  And that means stating
forceful, often highly divisive, arguments.  Post-Reagan, the Democratic
Party has bent over backwards to distance itself from its liberal past, and
is terrified of the taint of appearing in any way as either "anti-business"
or "pro-government," which, environmental politics is sometimes necessarily
about.   The consensus politics of the 80s and 90s has largely been a race
to the free-market-worshipping center-right, leaving a Democratic Party
that is not willing to stand for much of anything that Republicans can't
promote better.  Al Gore ran such an astoundingly timid and inoffensive
campaign that he gave up his substantial initial lead and actually lost
(minus a million or so votes) to Bush, leaving us where we are today.
Twelve years ago, Blanchard hardly bothered to campaign, providing a gift
of three Engler administrations to Michigan, and a state that is now much
more conservative as a result.

People need leaders who will lead.  We need more divisive politics, not
less.

Steve Gutterman

and it really hasn't done the Democratic Party much good done its best to
One can harln embracing the free market

--On Thursday, August 01, 2002 12:20 PM -0400 Dave Dempsey