E-M:/ Smog report

Yesterday and today are ozone action days.

This afternoon, ozone concentrations are highest
in Macomb and St. Clair County.   Last hour,
Port Huron was up to 120 ppb, one hour average, just
under the old health standard.   New Haven was also
up to 94 ppb, one hour average.

At 3 pm EST today, the following sites are showing one hour
averages in the 80-89 ppb range:

Scottville, Muskegon, Holland, Kalamazoo, Tecumseh, Oak Park,
and Warren.

Details at:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/aqi/ozone.shtml

Ontario has also issued air quality alerts along the Michigan Ontario
border and elsewhere in Southern Ontario.

Yesterday, the following monitors recorded concentrations over
the level of the new health standard, 8 hour average:

Holland  94
Coloma  86

Content from MDEQ Air Quality Division Follows:

OZONE ACTION! DAY DECLARATIONS

SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN

Thursday, August 1st is an Ozone Action! Day.  No other Ozone Action! Days
through Friday, August 2nd.

WEST MICHIGAN

Thursday, August 1st is an Ozone Action! Day.  No other Ozone Action! Days
through Friday, August 2nd.

FORECAST DISCUSSION

As anticipated, we started to see some convective activity and increased
wind speeds over northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
overnight as a cold front began dropping down from Minnesota. This front
will move through southern Michigan sometime tomorrow, giving us northwest
winds and dropping our afternoon temperatures into the low to mid-80's.
Precipitation will be spotty tomorrow, but most areas in southern Michigan
should see at least an increase in cloud cover, especially during the
morning hours.

The good news is that the combination of northerly winds, cooler
temperatures and increased cloud cover will put an end to our elevated
ozone levels.

On Saturday, an upper level high pressure system will begin developing over
the Great Plains. This feature will keep our temperatures moderate through
the early weekend. Ozone, therefore, should not be a concern during this
time period, and maybe even for the next several days.

However, we will be taking a look at the weather maps again tomorrow,
August 2nd, just to be certain things progress as we anticipate.

Forecast updated on Thursday, August 1st by Craig Fitzner

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com