E-M:/ RE: / How about a comprehensive Great Lakes Restoration???

Enviro-Mich message from Timberland RC&D <timrcd@iserv.net>

As Tom Hamilton pointed out, those of us in the Areas of Concern program
(which is in both the U.S. and Canada, but we have 14 Areas of Concern in
Michigan, more than any other state) are working very hard on exactly that.
The Great Lakes Commission published a well-distributed document with
specifics on such a proposal, and there have been several attempts at a
start on it through a bill originally introduced by Vern Ehlers (and
others), the Great Lakes Legacy Act.

We meet regularly with our Congressional delegates as well as occasionally
with some of those from other Great Lakes states, and recently had a chance
to chat with Sen. Stabenow. She is well aware of the need for comprehensive
restoration and has agreed to meet with us again after the elections. It is
rather difficult to pry money out of Congress right now, but we are
pressing for the recognition that it is past time for what money there is
to go to the Great Lakes. Having former Office of the Great Lakes Director
Tracy Mehan as head of the EPA Water Division should be helpful, though he
has been ill.

Our forum yesterday in Muskegon included Rep. Hoekstra as well as state
legislators, with whom we are in very close contact and who agree about the
Great Lakes situation.

The Chesapeake Bay is another example we point to -- of course that and the
Everglades are both areas well worth restoring, but the time has now come
for the same kind of focused concern about the Great Lakes.

Cynthia Price
Chair, Muskegon Lake Public Advisory Council