E-M:/ RE: / How about a comprehensive Great Lakes Restoration???

Enviro-Mich message from David Holtz <david.holtz@sierraclub.org>

Before everyone climbs aboard the Everglades restoration as a model for
Michigan please contact Alan Farago, Everglades Conservation Chair for
Sierra Club in Florida (afarago@ix.netcom.com).  Yes it is a huge,
complicated and ambitious effort that has been successfully branded as
environmental protection by politicians of every stripe.

But unless things have changed dramatically in the two years since I
left south Florida, most of the funding in the early years was aimed at
capturing water to support development in south Florida.  Only later
would true restoration take place, assuming the funding continued when
the program shifted away from benefiting real estate interests.

Anyone who thinks that Michigan would get billions of dollars from
Washington without paying a heavy price--like water diversion--is living
in a different world than I experienced in Florida.  Most of the big
environmental groups supported the Everglades restoration bill early on
in Congress for reasons both honorable and questionable.  Groups like
Sierra Club and a few local organizations questioned the scientific and
financial priorities  of the project down to the wire and may have
managed some improvements to the plan.

Whether the Everglades--and the coral reefs downstream--will be the
ultimate winners is definitely an unanswered question in my mind.
--david