E-M:/ Tonight: "Stop the Chainsaws! Saving Alaska's Tongass Rainforest"

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@wccnet.org>

Did you know that Earth's largest temperate rainforest is in the United
States?  The Tongass and Chugach National Forests are home to eagles,
moose, grizzlies, and ancient trees 200 feet tall.  The surrounding waters
support humpback whales, sea otters, and dozens of migratory bird species.

These magnificent ecological treasures are at risk.  70% of the largest
trees in the Tongass are already gone, and the remaining wildlife habitat
is being destroyed for the sake of short term profits, even though this
place is owned by us, the citizens of the USA.

At the Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group's public meeting in Ann Arbor on
Tuesday, August 20 at 7:30 pm, Mike Johnson will present "Stop the
Chainsaws!  Saving Alaska's Tongass Rainforest".  He'll show us what these
ancient forests look like, describe the threats to their future, and
discuss what we can do to protect them.

Mike's presentation will be followed by our social hour, where you can
meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and
protecting nature.  You can also learn about Sierra Club activities
including hikes, service projects, and a conservation campaigns.  If you
want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries,
books, CDs, and other stuff at the stores where you already shop, we'll
have EarthCash vouchers available for sale by cash or check.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group offers a monthly public event on the
third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens,
located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east
of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  These events are free and open to the
public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be
interested.  I hope to see you Tuesday night.

Doug Cowherd
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

HVG Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro