E-M:/ Transfer tax

I've heard that some states have a "transfer tax" where developers pay when land is developed and the monies go into a fund to preserve open space. Can anyone tell me if this can be done in Michigan and if so at a township level? The Supervisor has asked the township attorney to look into the idea but hasn't heard anything back yet, I thought maybe someone on enviro-mich would have the answer. Does anyone know the pros and cons of such a tax? If anyone is aware of someone I could contact for more information that would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Kathleen Bolton
Deputy Clerk/ Ray Township
Treasurer/ Project Coordinator Macomb Land Conservancy